Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nick Cave

Have just seen the Nick Cave exhibition (http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/nick-cave/). It was very good in parts. I was unsurprised to see in his bookshelves (partially on display) that he had collections of Larkin, Auden and Betjeman. Whilst his work is often considered to rely so heavily on American gothic (subject matter namely) I have always thought his poetic meter was actually really quite traditionally English.

Cave of course name checked the great Larkin in There she goes, my beautiful world

"Karl Marx squeezed his carbuncles while writing Das Kapital
And Gaugin, he buggered off, man, and went all tropical
While Philip Larkin stuck it out in a library in Hull
And Dylan Thomas died drunk in St Vincent's hospital" - Nick Cave

This lyric example, bears no relation to the English poetry of the above named, but if you look at the word structure of an earlier work like Mutiny in Heaven I think that shows what I mean.


I have checked, I can't find a Larkin reference to Cave, but then Larkin always favoured the Jazz (and its mags) to rock.

No comments: