Saturday, September 13, 2008

Bollywood in Canberra

I went to the annual show of the Canberra Bollywood School, charming it was except for a few things. It seems a popular art form here, I hadn't booked tickets, and it being packed I only just got in.
There seemed to be many female dancers, and but only 5 male ones in the school. Three of the men outshone anyone else there, this always seems to be the case when I see dance that the men capture my attention. I presume that men involved in dance (in particular at the amateur level) are very committed to it, having had to overcome I suppose negative gender stereotyping and so maybe put more time in, or maybe I just like the athleticism.



The only bad part was that between the dances, they did insist on putting small children on the stage to dance, if there is one thing I hate it is having to see children perform, because essentially they are poor at it, charmless and ungainly. I don't mind watching children perform at school, obviously especially my own, but I do object to them in a paid performance.

No comments: