Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lentil soup


You know I cook (let's face it, not by choice) most days and it's generally pretty basic stuff. This is no exception, but today's soup - Lentil - was very fine indeed. I of course realise that lentils are the supposed very foundation of every vegetarian diet, and am thus supporting a cliche, but hey ho, I do like them indeed.

The ingredients for any eager beavers looking to copy are:
Red lentils (use as many as you want, considering they are small you want to use at least 10, I did try and count how many I used but gave up at 323).
Onion (half of one, or less, I don't know how much to suggest as I don't know how many lentils you are going to use, if you are only using 10, I would just add the smell of an onion)
Garlic (1-2 of those segments are they cloves, or is a clove the whole thing?)
Beef stock cube - only part of one (now I know what you're thinking but no, I use a meat free one from Israel (Osem))
Cayenne (to your taste)
Salt (to your taste)
Pepper (to your taste)

Method – put all ingredients in a saucepan with double the amount of water, cook on moderate heat for just over half an hour.

Whilst preparing the soup I would suggest listening to some soothing French piano music, but whilst eating the soup you would need something revelatory, ecstatic and sensual and so would suggest Final Hymn the last part of the Firebird Suite that will give you approx 3 1/2 minutes to eat it in.

Here's the grand old master himself conducting Lullaby and Final Hymn if you are unsure of the music (tho actually the recorded version here is not the best by any means).


No comments: